Hi everyone! Happy Hump Day!
I have a couple of projects today. I’ve been wanting to make wood block words. I set out to make some and still haven’t LOL I got a bit side tracked because my wood was too wet to use and it’s still in a box in the garage.
Then I found out that a 4” x 4” post is NOT really 4” x 4” but 3 3/8” x 3 3/8”. Why call it 4” x 4” if it’s not!
These are 6” x 6” and mounted on 1/8” particle board.
I don’t even know where to start because I did these kind of all at the same time. I have one set that’s 6” x 6” and another set that’s 4” x 4”. The 4” x 4” was made before I found out about the post, hence my angst.
The 4” x 4” are mounted on heavy chipboard and they’re pretty plain. I was too annoyed about the post size being wrong to put much effort into embellishing them but I like the simple look too.
While I was working on these, I started to think that gee, they’d look really neat if they were bigger. So, half way through I stopped these and went out to the garage to cut some boards. Just about lost a couple of fingers on the table saw. It doesn’t always play nice.
Anyways, here’s what I ended up with for the 6” x 6”s . . .
I had a heck of a time putting the ribbon in and getting the spacing worked out but I wanted them connected and in a quad.
I’m not entirely happy with how they look hung. For the lack of anything better to hang them with, I used bamboo/stainless hooks but I totally don’t like how it looks, so I’ll be trying to find a better way to hang them.
Because LAUGH is a 5 letter word and couldn’t be in a quad, I opted to embellish the letters and they’ll eventually get hung on a bulkhead in my studio. I was smarter with these letters and used my crop-a-dile to punch holes in the board before embellishing so they will hang nicely.
I find embellishing things like this very difficult. I wonder if anyone else does too? I swear, I kill off a lot of brain cells just trying to think things up so they don’t all look the same.
For once, I was able to resist gluing things together until I had all the pieces figured out. The photo corners were an afterthought. I found them in a drawer while looking for something else. The inchies were also an afterthought. I found those on my table while digging out the Cuttlebug for the butterflies and realized they might be useful for filling in white space.
I love adding beads to things. Especially dangly beads. It’s a bit time consuming but I think it adds such a pretty touch to any project.
I had to dig out the glue gun for this one. It’s my first medallion flower. I added 1/2” pieces of string to the valleys to add a bit of interest. Then The leaves where lying around on my table so I stuck them in the photo corners. I’m still not sure about them so I didn’t glue them.
Here I used a giant paperclip from staples to hold the ribbon and hot glued it onto the front. The butterfly is my favourite go to die and comes from Provo Craft.
More beads. The ribbon here is really a very fine wire weave copper ribbon and it’s stunning in real life. It was just begging for beads.
Next I had better go out and do something with those blocks in the box in the garage because I interrupted my FILs dinner to have him cut them up for me.
I hope you’ve enjoyed your visit with me today.
Thanks so much for stopping in and have a happy day!